EPA Bans “Most Toxic” Sorts Of Mouse And Rat Poisons
You can read “most toxic” as “most effective,” I think, and in that there are shades of the infamous DDT ban enacted here in the US and globally over hysterics who insisted that the use of the chemical was hurting wildlife (see: Rachel Carson, the patron saint of the modern environmentalist movement). One of the most effective ways to manage insect populations, and thus the spread of insect-born diseases such as malaria, was the use of DDT. But activists inspired by Rachel Carson managed to get the use of the chemical banned.
The result was a dramatic increase in the instances of diseases like malaria. Some estimate that the ban of DDT may have cost millions their lives.
Given how many diseases are spread by rats and mice, it’s hard not to see this EPA restriction as having a similar impact if not perhaps in the same scope. The point being that the unintended consequences of these government restrictions, ostensibly to make us healthier and safer, may actually us less healthy and safe.
(CNSNews.com) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced on Tuesday that it plans to ban the sale of “the most toxic rat and mouse poisons, as well as most loose bait and pellet products” to residential customers.
The goal is to better protect children, pets and wildlife.
“These changes are essential to reduce the thousands of accidental exposures of children that occur every year from rat and mouse control products and also to protect household pets,” said Steve Owens, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention.
The EPA also will require that all rat and mouse poisons marketed to residential customers be enclosed in bait stations that don’t allow children and pets to reach the poison.
The EPA says children are particularly at risk for exposure to rat and mouse poisons because the products are typically placed on floors, where children can find them and sometimes eat them.
Was there some sort of rat poison-related national crisis I was unaware of? If not, what in the world is justifying this?
Children have been putting disgusting and/or toxic things in their mouths for about as long as we’ve had children. When that sort of things leads to serious illness and/or death it’s always tragic, but there are simple solutions for the problem.
If you store toxic materials away from where children can get them, if you refrain from using them at times when it may be harmful for children and if you educate your children and monitor them properly this risk drops to near zero.Tags: big government, ddt, epa, rachel carson